Small hydro power projects
The Water at a height contains potential Energy and when it is flowing from higher
to lower level the potential Energy is converted into Kinetic Energy. When running
water is allowed to pass through the Hydraulic turbine, the turbine rotates and
develops mechanical energy which in turn drives a generator through a Gearbox and
Electrical Energy is produced.
The head and the discharge and the period of Water discharge determine the Power
Potential and Energy generation at any location.
A minimum 3 Mt head is desirable for installation of a Low head Hydel power Station.
These Projects can be installed on canal drops, dam toes, waterfalls, streams and
The Power project essentially comprises of a diversion weir / regulator an intake
canal, powerhouse, tailrace pool and tailrace channel.
The S.H.P. Projects are classified as follows:
- Up to 100 K.W Micro Hydel
- Above 100 KW to 2.0 MW Mini Hydel
- Above 2.0 MW to 25.0 MW Small Hydro
Objectives of the power project
- Harnessing the energy contained in flowing water without consumptive use and free
from all sorts of pollution.
- Environment friendly green power generation.
- Improving the local voltage conditions near the project.
- Local employment generation.
- Entrepreneurship development.
- Additional revenue to Government by way of water cess / royalty.
- Improvement of discharges through canal in the reach of the project due to concrete
Raw material used in the power project
Potential Energy of water is used for driving the turbine and to generate the power
in the project without any consumption.
Typical Arrangement of run of river Micro Hydropower Project
Typical Arrangement of Canel Fall based Micro Hydropower Project