Energy efficiency refers to measures and strategies involving rational use of energy
resources, thereby reducing demand. Thus, energy efficiency measures enhances energy
security by spreading available energy resources over a long period of time and
at the same time mitigate environmental impacts and reduce the cost of energy delivery.
Indian industries consume about 50% of the total commercial energy use. The major
industries identified are:-
- Paper & Pulp
- Iron and Steel
- Chloro Alkali
- Thermal Power Station
These identified industries consume about 65 % of the total Indian industrial energy
sector usage. If we can save about 30% 0f energy what above identified industries
consuming, we can not only solve the problem of blackouts, brownouts our country
facing but also we can increase the no. of industries by simply following some of
the given energy efficiency and conservation steps.
- Top management policy
- Energy Management cell and Energy Manager in the industry
- Promotion of fuel efficient practices
- Once in a year energy audit should be done by accredited Energy Auditor
- Replacement of old & inefficient boilers and other oil operated equipments
- Fuel switching & technology up-gradation i.e., Waste heat recovery, Cogeneration
(CHP), Tri-generation (CHPC)
The sector has become very energy-intensive over time, which is partly due to investments
made in basic and energy intensive industries due to the emphasis laid in the past
development plans on achieving self-reliance. There are wide variations in energy
consumption among different units within the same industry using same technology.
It has been estimated that the total conservation potential of this sector is around
23% of the total energy used by it.
Provisions in the Energy Conservation Act:
- Notifying energy intensive industries and other establishments as designated consumers
- Establishing and prescribing energy consumption norms, standards for designated
- Directing designated consumers and energy intensive industries specified in the
Schedule to get an energy audit conducted by an accredited energy auditor in the
specified manner and intervals of time.
- Directing designated consumers to furnish information with regard to energy consumed
and action taken on the recommendation of the accredited energy auditor to the designated
- Directing designated consumers to appoint certified energy manager in charge of
activities for efficient use of energy and its conservation.